17 April 2010

Terribe Shit I Bought: Lenny Kravitz

In 1993, I was a 16 year old fucking idiot who watched MTV all day, every day. I didn't go to school or work. Nor did I eat or sleep or poop. I simply waited for music videos to excite me and then I would run out and buy a CD. One horrible day, I saw this incredible video by a 'new' artist (well, I'd never heard of the fucking guy) named Lenny Kravitz. The song was called "Are You Gonna Go My Way" and it was the first single from the album of the same name. The song and the video rocked my socks off. It was 100% adrenaline delivered with a vibe of utter coolness. (Keep in mind it was the 90s and everything (even AIDS) was possible.)

So I bought the cassette. Yeah, at least I was a little cost conscious. On the way home in the car, I realized my mistake. "Are You Gonna Go My Way" is the only decent song on that terrible, terrible album. I thought Kravitz was emulating the 1970s. I didn't know he was a hippie! I decided to give the album another chance but it was pointless. Lenny Kravitz is a jerk and his music is terrible. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

-Richard

No comments: