19 April 2010

FINN: Prologue

(The following was written after a sleepless week and heavy NyQuil inducement...just like this sentence was. And it's the third attempt.)

28 July, 2010, one of the main players in one of my all-time favorite bands will be playing a concert locally. Of course I am talking about Neil Finn of Crowded House, and the band I'm referring to is Split Enz. I've never seen Crowded House live despite being a huge fan since I was 15 and having at least two prior opportunities. Nor have I ever seen any member of the Finn family or musical incarnation live, apart from owning several live DVDs, VHS tapes, and audio recordings, but that really doesn't count. I'm not much of a concert goer, actually, which some find odd for an active musician. (I passed up an opportunity this past Friday to see another musical god, Colin Hay.) I debated about getting tickets to the Crowded House show and passed up 4th and 7th row seats in lieu of 12th row. Don't ask.

But I'm straying from my point, which is Split Enz and the Finns. I had intended to use as little wordage as possible to express my love for them, but that ship has sailed. Granted, Neil wasn't a founding member of my beloved Enz, but his brother Tim was and after joining the band Tim and Neil were able to take the ring to Mordor and fight Xena for the Kiwi football wool sweater bungee. Throw another pimp on the barbie, mate. Fuck it, just listen to the twin Finn awesomeness in some of my favorite situations.

There can be only one.

Or two, since they are brothers.

-N.









No comments: