04 November 2008

"Teach Me Tiger" -- April Stevens

Long ago, but not so far away I worked the night shift in the library. I made friends with Annabel the sheep on media player and streamed internet radio to my little desk when I was not manning the big desk. It was a grubby, grumbley, magical time with just me and one other staff member and a couple of student assistants. Then one night, as punk rock Annabel bobbed around in her dance, a song trickled out of the speakers that would nearly asphyxiate me with laughter. That song was "Teach me Tiger" by April Stevens.

Don't worry, you can listen to the song without needing to laugh yourself to death. It's just that when I heard it, and waved my coworker over to listen to it too, we imagined what it would be like to end every line with a breathy wah wah wahwah wah. Lots of songs have that little nonsensical lyric in a chorus or wherever, usually its a 'baby baby,' or 'yeah, yeah,' "Mmmbop" consisted almost entirely of these nonsensical add-ons, but none has caught me so off guard as 'wah wah wahwah wah.'



--LeE.

No comments: