05 June 2008

Miyavi

All right, let's discuss the music-gasm. It is a cousin of the food-gasm, the honest and visceral reaction to something that is not sexual, and yet the only thing it really compares to is sex. The music-gasm happens when something you listen to excites you to the extent that you hold your breath, and your head tingles, and your hands shake. Or at least, that's what happens to me, and did while I gorged myself on Miyavi (wiki) videos for the last half hour. That's just how much I loved it--Miyavi's music, that is.

I don't know if it's possible to write something that does justice to the way Miyavi plays guitar. I have never seen anything quite like it. At least, not with quite as much variation and speed. It does remind me of skilled and traditional flamenco guitar, but put on speed. His unique rhythmic playing and accomplished mastering of the guitar have earned him a reputation as one of the top guitar players in Japan.



And then, there is the ridiculous variation among songs, the theatricality, and that, to me, Miyavi appears almost unbearably cool.





--LeEtta

No comments: